Reformatting forum categories for Gatherings

Hi All

As the forum grows, we will get more categories listed on the front page and I wonder if it might be worth a think about how we deal with Gatherings. At the moment this is what we have, a category per Gathering with subcategories

I would propose that we make a Gatherings category, have each Gathering event as a subcategory and use tags for the lower levels (Discourse does not allow subsubcategories!). This seems like a more future-proof set up. What do you think?

Jenny

2 Likes

Hi!
I think is actually better. Using tags for subjects discussed on the gathering will make it easier to find them when searching for similar subjects, independently of the gathering.

The e latin american group (reGOSH) have decided to keep using gosh forum as our oficial forum, because we want to add, not subtract. We’ve been using the category “Communities” and sub-category “Latino Americanas”, with the label “regosh”. But that is not working for us, is too limited.
Friday we had a meeting and decided to make a category called “reGOSH” and use only this one to discusses our topics.
Since you brought up this subject, I decided to share here our decision.

2 Likes

Thanks Marina - that sounds good!
I have now updated the Gathering categories to make them one parent category - feedback welcome, it can be reversed if the community feels it doesn’t work well.

Jenny

1 Like