Open review of curriculum - Open Hardware mentorship program

Hi everyone,

We want to invite you to a community consultation on the curriculum of our open hardware mentorship program, Open Hardware Makers.

Open Hardware Makers is a 15-week, online mentorship program organized by @amchagas, @vektor and me. It aims to support new hardware projects in their way of acquiring best practices, building welcoming and inclusive communities and connecting to existing networks.

After running a pilot cohort in 2020, we managed to get some support from Mozilla for a consultation process in order to improve the curriculum.

The consultation process is structured as follows:

1. Community consultation (10-27th July): we are officially asking for feedback on our curriculum from different open hardware communities
  2. Experts consultation: the organizers will incorporate community’s input and work on it with a diverse committee of experts (10-24th August)

After this, the organizers will produce a final reviewed version of the curriculum and publish it in September. It will be openly available for anyone to fork, and we’ll have it translated into different languages.

The curriculum is open now for review in this document. You can make comments in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German or French. Deadline for comments is 27th July.

To launch the community consultation, we invite you to a short call next Friday 10th at 3pm UTC introducing what we’ll do and making ourselves available for any questions.

If you’re not able to join don’t worry, we will also make the recording available in our YouTube channel. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask here, or directly to ohwmakers@gmail.com

7 Likes

Great initiative.

We are running a somewhat similar and at the same time complementary effort with the program on collaborative entrepreneurship.
Collaborative entrepreneurship borrows a lot from open source and it is, in my opinion, a logical extension to make open source econimicaly sustainable. We are also publishing the program’s material. Like you, we are at our first iteration of this programme.
I think the organizers of the OSHW mentorship program can find interesting ideas in the collaborative entrepreneurship program that they can remix. Moreover, we can also join efforts to form people to OS best practices and at the same time train them as collaborative entrepreneurs to increase the rate of success of open source projects. Here’s the link
https://www.sensorica.co/help/education/collaborative-entrepreneurship

4 Likes

Thanks guys for organising such nice project. Really exciting to be involved with you. If you need an extra brain, I would be very happy to spend some time on the guidelines for meentes, mentors, expert.

P.S. I will adding some few comments to the curriculum review doc before the 27th of July!

2 Likes