National Geographic funding for "Participatory Science" [deadline 10 July 2018]

I just found this.
The current grant cycle closes July 10, 2018.

We seek to support participatory science through the development or innovative use of data-driven, technology-powered tools that will increase the understanding, preservation, and protection of our planet. Applicants should design and/or implement tools that support citizen science work, particularly data collection or data analysis, in ways that create learning experiences for citizen scientists, including students.

Typical proposals should request less than $30,000; however, applicants may request up to $50,000.

These numbers just dropped since i last checked the website :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This looks really great, thanks for sharing!

Do you have any suggestions on how to square the circle (or otherwise justify) the exclusion of profit from open hardware projects? I’m thinking of Cosmic Pi, ideally we would get some cosmic ray detectors built in order to give away, we would need a commercial partner to manufacture them, or if we were to build them ourselves - do you think it would be acceptable to do it “at cost” based on a full bill of materials? I imagine this will be an issue for most projects with a “more complext than just off the shelf” hardware element.