Join GOSH Roadmappers online today and tomorrow

Hi All

A group of us are gathered at CERN working in the GOSH Roadmap today and tomorrow.
If you want to join us - we have a Zoom channel open and we can talk to you live! See the schedule below, all times are UTC+2.

We’re also in the Riot channel or you can join the same chat via IRC: Kiwi IRC (use channel #gosh at Freenode)

Here is the latest GOSH roadmap live doc

You can also join us via the IdeaSquare telepresence robot - drop me a line for login instructions. Sadly only one person at a time.

ji

Tuesday, September 26: DAY 1

8am: breakfast at CERN IdeaSquare
9am-12pm: reviewing GOSH community roadmap

• Describe why we are doing this (what is in the Sloan grant in terms of what we promised and what we should do)
  • Talk about the history of the edits: make sure that we conserve the richness of the contributions so far!
  • What gets in / what gets out? Identify the audiences we are writing to. Take the “action points from GOSH 2017” and see if we are addressing all of the points in the current version of the roadmap
  • List all the issues we identified, things we need to solve: address comments and resolving large issues
  • Identifying visual information for the roadmap (list of figures) and look at graphic designer/artist options
    12pm-1pm: Lunch at CERN

1pm-5pm: Editing towards a final draft of the GOSH roadmap

Three groups, take turns at the 3 sections:

• 1 hour per section (rotating groups)
  • 1 hour for discussion of whole document
  • 1 hour drafting addition bits / solving identified issues / pointing out what is still missing for us to work on the next day

5pm onwards - Geneva and fondie

Wednesday, September 27: DAY 2

8am: Breakfast at CERN IdeaSquare

9am-12pm: Reviewing final draft and drafting supplementary information

• 1 hour and 30 minutes: identify cross-cutting themes, connections involving the activities we proposed (w/ the executive summary in mind)
  • 1 hour and 30 minutes: split between three groups:
  • Draft the executive summary
  • Gather supplementary info we have in other document
  • Brainstorm visualizations

12pm-1pm: Lunch

1pm-6pm: Finalizing the roadmap

• 1 hour: Close-read the whole document
  • 1 hour: Review Sloan metrics for roadmap dissemination then prepare a list of places we can send the roadmap and formats for publishing (blog, paper/editorial, popular news). Discuss and define the launch details and date (have an online party, BYOB!)
  • 1 hour: Start drafting the documents we listed: blog posts, paper/editorial, popular news, have an extended form of the executive summary
  • 30 min: What next? Dates, actions, people
  • 1 hour and 30 minutes: buffer time (for whatever is left to work on)

7pm: Dinner at CERN, Restaurant 1

Are you planning on connecting on Zoom today as well?

Hi @rpez We can open the Zoom channel this afternoon around 2pm CEST (about to break for lunch). We’ll use the same Zoom URL.

Zoom channel is open if anyone wants to join: https://zoom.us/j/447701700

Thanks to everyone who joined in remotely today. Zoom channel is now closed.

Hi Guys,

On my perspective I am finding a bit difficult do follow and contribute to the roadmap development due to documents with duplicated information and outdated instructions on the pads. This is no surprise as we are learning on how to perform collaborative development - one of the very challenges listed on the Draft roadmap.

I bring this up because I see that the roadmap is not finished and I would like to help. I think that a single entry point that present the current status/instructions for those working remotely is very important for a collaborative distributed development. From my experience, this is also helpful for those joining the working session in person as it is not easy to get everyone’s attention when new instructions arrive.

This typically needs one or more facilitator that take care of the steps of the hackathon and keep the instructions on the entry point up-to-date, on a wiki post on this forum, for instance. It is demanding.

I know my suggestion comes a bit late as the writing session at CERN is over and you guys are busy finishing up the work. Nevertheless, if someone would like to offer some insights on how I can help without disrupting ongoing work, I will be on this Jitsi conference room this afternoon (works on modern firefox and chrome browsers - no account required).

Perhaps next time we could try something more structured from the beginning. I will be glad to help.

Hi Rafael

Sure - we didn’t know you were trying to join today so we weren’t updating the info.
It is demanding! We’ve been flat out on drafting (until 1am last night) and we’re all really tired :sleeping: .

We had a lot of long discussions and allocated people to review sections on the basis of those discussions, eventually they will be merged into one document for distribution to the community for comments this Sunday 1 Oct. We found that with multiple people editing simultaneously both online and in-person, we can end up going backwards because not everyone has been involved with the (many hours of) conversations that led to a particular decision and also edits can get lost.

One specific task that would not disrupt the changes people are making right now is coming up with concrete examples of projects and initiatives to illustrate the challenges/opportunities adding them as comments - would you be interested in that? I can give you access to whichever section you’re interested in.

If anyone has suggestions for document development processes at this scale (over 100 contributors over several months and up to twelve people editing at a time) that have been successful in the past we’d be very glad to hear about them - this is the first of many resources that were planned!

Jenny

1 Like

Sure. No need to change access.

We’e looking for a good examples of one educational and one non-profit institution which supports open science hardware, to include in text box in the roadmap

Any thoughts? @kshitizkhanal7 @ShamsJaber @dbild

Hi Jenny,

The Tech Academy in Bangladesh(which I run) is an educational institute that uses all open source hardware to teach kids. The hardware are as following: arduino, raspberry pi, makey makey, bare conductive, foldscope, backyard brains, hackteria ‘kits’, lego mindstorms(open source firmware), processing IDE, scratch, scratch for Arduino, Aruino IDE…

note: we also use REV Robotics and Avishkaarbox kits(not open source, but required to participate in some of the global robotics competitions for high schoolers and middle schoolers). Besides, Robotics, Mechanical, Electronics and Programming, we are to start bio hacking soon… I believe you met Promon and Sihinta in the global biosummit who shared our plans as well. We are really excited about that as well.

The Tech Academy also runs non-profit schools in remote areas and underdeveloped areas in the country without charge besides teaching middle income and high income families in urban areas for a charge.

I hope this helps! Let me know, if you need more information.

HI all,
thanks for all your effort!!

@jcm80: I’m pretty sure @ShamsJaber example is going to be more than enough for the examples you are looking for, but I would like to suggest Trend as an example as well, given the recent efforts of the Open Labware workshops and the papers describing hardware that recently came out (maybe these examples are complementary as we “target” different audiences?).

Jenny, I don’t know of any educational or non-profit organization as such that support Open Science Hardware. I know few that use Open Hardware, not necessarily because of the openness but because of fit for their purpose, economy and access. I am not sure whether they qualify.