GOSH 2022 Book Club Meetings

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, I can’t make tomorrow’s book club meeting, but feel free to meet without me!

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t get to read much of the book (but enjoyed reading the parts that I did) and am completely drained from a long and intense day, so apologies I probably also can’t make it.

Just learned from @jarancio Mattering Press, a cooperative publisher publishing books that are IMO relevant to this thread:

https://www.matteringpress.org/books

3 Likes

Thanks for the share. I particularly liked this book as it suggests to have ways to make its ideas and questions into an interactive game.

1 Like

There’s a ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I’d be happy for us to have one more meeting to talk about this book in late August/September-ish before the Gathering in October!

Thanks, @hpy for the link to the book - and for reviving this thread!

I would be open to an early September book club meeting (I will likely be out of the office the last week of August). Here is a poll that everyone can fill out to find a meeting time!

1 Like

Thank you @briannaljohns, I’ve added my availability to the poll. It’ll be good if we can lock in a time asap because as we get closer to September I’m sure our calendars will start filling up!

@hpy I agree! Let’s make July 25 the deadline for filling out the poll. I’ll announce the date/time that works shortly afterwards.

Thanks, everyone!

2 Likes

Hi again everyone!

It looks like the best time for the next GOSH Book Club meeting is September 6 at 12:00 UTC (22:00 AEDT / 15:00 AET / 8:00 ET). We will be reading Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

As @hpy noted there’s a ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

Enjoy the reading and see you all then!

-Bri :v:

2 Likes

Thanks! I have added this to my calendar and will strive to read the book (or at least the sections which most interest me!) by the time we meet.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to make the meeting. I’ve tried to download the ePub version using the link provided above but keep getting an error - does anyone know of any other sources please?

1 Like

Hi @annasera: Just to confirm, are you having trouble with the link itself, opening the zip file it links to, or opening the epub file contained within the zip file? Or do you need it in another format like PDF? I’ll try to get something to you asap.

Thanks for your help! I was getting a security error that didn’t give me an option to override it, but I’ve just tried again and managed to download it. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi all! A reminder that the next Book Club meeting is September 6 at 12:00 UTC! We will be discussing the book Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers by Alicia Gibb

As @hpy noted there’s an ebook version (.epub) in a ZIP file which can be downloaded from here.

I have added this to the GOSH calendar and we will meet using this Jitsi link.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We had a great book club meeting yesterday, thanks to @annasera and @hpy for joining! We discussed the book Building Open Source Hardware: DIY Manufacturing for Hackers and Makers and also decided on the next book club read.

What will we be reading next?
We decided that The Hardware Hacker: Adventures in Making and Breaking Hardware, by Bunnie Huang, will be our next book club reading!

When is the next meeting?
We would like to host the next book club meeting during the last week of November. Help us decide on a time/date by filling out this poll.

I am looking forward to the next meeting!

Thanks,
Bri

1 Like

Hi again all!

Thanks @hpy and @annasera for your response to the poll to find a meeting time! Unfortunately it looks like I won’t be able to make any of the meeting times that are emerging in the poll, but feel free to meet without me next time!

1 Like

TBH I’m pretty overwhelmed as of late and don’t have much time for this book at the moment. Can we run the poll again post-Panama-Gathering and find a new time??

@hpy sounds good to me :slight_smile: we’ve got a lot coming up with the Gathering anyways, so we can definitely come back to this afterwards.

1 Like

Great!

BTW, putting two more books here that may be of interest:

• Walled Culture - The Book by Glyn Moody. “Walled Culture is the first book providing a compact, non-technical history of digital copyright and its problems over the last 30 years, and the social, economic and technological implications.”
  • Chokepoint Capitalism by Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow. “In Chokepoint Capitalism, scholar Rebecca Giblin and writer and activist Cory Doctorow argue we’re in a new era of ‘chokepoint capitalism’, with exploitative businesses creating insurmountable barriers to competition that enable them to capture value that should rightfully go to others. All workers are weakened by this, but the problem is especially well-illustrated by the plight of creative workers.”

There are relatively easily accessible ebooks of both available.

1 Like

Yet another book, though slightly less directly related to open science hardware. Still may be of interest to some.

An Illustrated Field Guide to Social Media - A look at alternative logics for social media published in connection with “Reimagine the Internet”.

This field guide looks at social media that works on different “logics” than do Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube. It features communities that have tried consciously to use different models than surveillance capitalism and includes the work of collaborators in other countries and subcultures.

Published CC BY! And also viewable on the Internet Archive.

BTW the book mentions Pol.is which @lizbarry works on!

1 Like