Funding opportunities: Biomaker Challenge and OpenPlant Fund

Hi All

I’m involved in coordinating two funding opportunities based at the University of Cambridge that need one applicant from the University (or John Innes Centre of Earlham Institute in Norwich) but are otherwise very much open to external collaboration. If you have ideas and I can help make connections, let me know. Likewise, I’ll post potential collaborations on this thread.

Jenny

Biomaker Challenge - apply by 23 June 2017
More info: www.synbio.cam.ac.uk/biomakerchallenge

Biomaker Challenge is a four-month programme challenging interdisciplinary teams to build low-cost sensors and instruments for biology. From colorimeters to microfluidics and beyond, we’re looking for frugal, open source and DIY approaches to biological experiments. The challenge is open to students and staff at the University of Cambridge, John Innes Centre and the Earlham Institute. Participants will receive a Biomaker Toolkit and a discretionary budget for additional sensors, components, consumables and 3D-printing worth up to £1000.

For more information, to join a mixer event and apply by 23 June 2017, see www.synbio.cam.ac.uk/biomakerchallenge or email biomaker@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Co-organised by: OpenPlant, Synthetic Biology SRI, CamBridgeSens.

OpenPlant Fund – apply by 30 June 2017
More info: OpenPlant Fund — OpenPlant

The OpenPlant Fund supports innovative, open and interdisciplinary projects relevant to plant Synthetic Biology over 2015-19. Up to 20 six-month projects per year will receive £4k each, with an additional £1k awarded on completion for follow-on and outreach. We are now accepting applications with a submission deadline of 30 June 2017. The aim of the fund is to promote the development of plant Synthetic Biology as an interdisciplinary field and to facilitate exchange between The University of Cambridge, the John Innes Centre, and the Earlham Institute for the development of open technologies and responsible innovation in the context of Synthetic Biology.

For more information, to join a mixer event and apply by 30 June 2017, see OpenPlant Fund — OpenPlant or email colette.matthewman@jic.ac.uk