Bristol and Bath Feb27-mar3

Hi nice folks, I’m teaching a class at the Glasgow School of Art Feb 20-25, and then will head to Bristol to see some friends (and butterfly labs!)

I don’t know much about the UK, but it seems like the Bath and Bristol area is a real haven for Open Science folks and would love to meet folks IRL! (Plus maybe crash on some IRL couches!)

Ill have a suitcase full of camera traps too (several of which are Pen’s)

@hpy @julianstirling , wanna hang?

2 Likes

Yeah I do! I should be around.

Ping @kaspar @jarancio

1 Like

Not in Bath, or Bristol, but in Brighton… There are quite a few open science folks around, plus several hiking places and some cliffs by the ocean… If you have time, we can arrange things for a visit!

1 Like

I’ve left the Bath-Bristol area now, but I am in Glasgow - give me a shout if you fancy calling in to the university while you’re here and seeing a lab full of OpenOffice microscopes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing! @hikinghack is this similar to the art school thing you did a year ago? Do you plan on doing some camera trap stuff with them???

Yes, I am around, let’s meet up! Would be cool to do a little GOSH get-together.

@hpy
yeah we are mostly doing some upcycling workshops, but i wanted to do something with them to interact with the local fauna, so was going to bring some camera traps up for the design students!

@rbowman - cool! oddly though im teaching at the GSA, the place im teaching is in Inverness (which seems to be not actually close to glasgow, but maybe i can stop through!)

@amchagas -cool! ill see if i can stop by there too. apparently all the cool open science folks live in British places that start with “B”

2 Likes

Hah, I didn’t realise they had an outpost in Inverness! It is quite some way from Glasgow, in the other hand it’s not impossible you’ll pass through on your way down south…

2 Likes

BTW @hikinghack if you meet up with the butterfly people, could I tag along? I’d love to meet them!

Looking forward to seeing you in February!

Im sure that will be great! they haven’t ironed out exactly what day i will be giving my talk there yet, but ill let yall know!

1 Like

Arrrgh, I’ll be in the US at that time, sorry!! Would have loved to go for a cider in Bristol :’(

2 Likes

aww lovely times, cider in Bristol!!

1 Like

So it turns out I’m visiting during A big strike that’s happening at a bunch of campuses? So my talk at Bristol is canceled. Are places in Bath& Brighton affected as well?

We could always try to do some other kind of talk That’s not at some institution and invite people to.

This also frees up my schedule a lot, as basically my only plans are to head to Bristol on that Saturday from Inverness.

1 Like

So it turns out I’m visiting during A big strike that’s happening at a bunch of campuses? So my talk at Bristol is canceled. Are places in Bath& Brighton affected as well?

Yes it’s a nationwide strike (solidarity! :fist:) so Bath & Brighton are included:

We could always try to do some other kind of talk That’s not at some institution and invite people to.

Definitely don’t wanna put @kaspar on the spot but I think their hackerspace is based in Bristol?

And @hikinghack do you still plan to meet the butterfly people?

Looking forward to seeing you here!

1 Like

Yeah ill def meet up with my butterfly friends!

1 Like

Hei hei,

i am also planning to go to the UK. partially London for the Human Genome Editing side event we are organizing:
https://thgap.hackteria.org/WorldCongress/

But i might have some days before and after to visit Briston… or wherever i can find you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

neat! too bad ill be leaving before the World congress, but yeah hopefully we can see each other in one of those british b-towns!

1 Like

I’ll probably be travelling out of the country on the 2nd of March, but will be free before. The 27th is a fantastic time to go out in Bath as it is my birthday.

2 Likes

fantastic! let’s do bath on mon the 27th! ill wear a big bow for you and be your birthday present!

2 Likes

There’s a GOSH Community Council meeting on February 27 from 10:30 to 12:00 UTC, other than that I’m free that day! So I’d like to sign up for this and the butterfly people meeting if it has space!

(or maybe @hikinghack and @julianstirling can even make a cameo in the meeting haha :rofl:)

ill drop in on the council meeting, see what yall are up to!

1 Like