[Meeting Wednesday 12th August] Aligning documentation efforts

I have added the next meeting to the top of the thread.

@gbathree @MattR @kaspar @Tobey and everyone else who is interested. This is just a reminder that the call is this wednesday.

Link in the opening post.

Hello everyone, sorry I have been very absent from this forum, this is a very late reply.
Hardocs is a prototype, not more than that. I developed it with 2 more persons to explore solutions to issues I faced when working on hardware design projects in the past.

• bomake was mostly about “easy” BOM generation, where you could not just make a bom but also write narrative text about the design. Woudlnt it be wonderful if there was something like jupyter notebooks? Maybe it exists, I am not aware.

• Hardocs: I focused there on making it really easy to write narratitve text, with images, but also structured data with automatic form generation using json schemas.

• Combatcovid.equipment: Mostly focused on dissemination and search experience, with the case of hardware for covid which was so difficult to find, when people started publishing all kinds of designs. What is interesting about this one, is that it was integrated with github, so it would provide a presentation and search layer on top of github apis.

Some learnings and reflections:

• There is a lot of great software and cloud platforms, some to limiting or locking, but with nice features to have in an open-source alternative.
  • I have been in general quite naive about the time of developing software, today not so much :wink:
  • Going from prototype to mature stage requires resources and team, or full time commitment, at least in my case. So for me what has stopped me from working more in hardocs, is mostly time.

Regards and apologies for my very asynchronous response