Affordable Phenotyping Workshop in Germany, 15-17 May 2017

Hello!

For those interested in plants and crops, there is this workshop on affordable tools for plant phenotyping (~measuring things on plants). Some of the tools presented are open source, and there’s also an international working group that will be launched, which will hopefully rely greatly in open hardware and software.

After reading Alexis’s (@Alexis_Johnson) comment on the symposium in Mexico, I realize that some of those issues also apply to this event (not the Cancún holiday part for sure). I hope that my experience at GOSH will help me raise awareness about this and try to bring the spirit and values of GOSH to the people working in this field.

Gustavo

More info about the workshop here: https://www.plant-phenotyping.org/IPPN_Affordable_Phenotyping_Workshop_May-2017
(Please share this with whoever you think would be interested!)

IPPN Affordable Phenotyping Workshop
15-17 May 2017
Jülich, Germany

One of the current problems in plant phenotyping are the high entry level and maintenance expenses of new sensors and infrastructures. This prevents many research organizations from implementing urgently needed approaches due to lack of investment budget and technical personnel. Therefore, affordable phenotyping concepts and methods need to be disseminated to a wider plant science and breeding community by identifying demands, increasing the awareness and collecting and sharing available knowledge on lean solutions.

Program

15 Monday 2017
-Roland Pieruschka and Fabio Fiorani (IBG-2, FZ Juelich, Germany): Introduction into the IPPN and the “Affordable Phenotyping” working group
-David Rousseau (Université Lyon, France): Toward cost-effective imaging-based plant phenotyping
-Uttam Kumar (Cimmyt, El Batan, Mexico): tba
-Mark Mueller-Linow (IBG-2, FZ Juelich, Germany): 3d sensors
-Tobias Wojciechowski (IBG-2, FZ Juelich, Germany): Root phenotyping in the field
-Sotirios A. Tsaftaris (University of Edingburgh, GB): Machine learning can empower trait extraction in affordable phenotyping
-N/A (National Electronics and Computer Technology Center, Thailand): tba
-Gustavo Pereyra Irujo and Luis Aguirrezabal (INTA-CONICET-Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Argentina): Strategies for increasing access to phenotyping tools
-Benjamin Bruns (IBG-2, FZ Juelich, Germany): An introduction to developing data-driven mobile apps: A case study with Android

16 Tuesday 2017
-Johannes Seidl-Schulz (Geo-Konzept, Germany): tba
-Bas van Eerdt (Phenokey, Netherlands): tba
-Nick Webb (Delta-T Devices, UK): Towards non-destructive leaf area measurement
-Greg LeRoux (Zegami, UK): tba
-Udo Seiffert (Fraunhofer IFF, Germany): HawkSpex® Mobile–A ubiquitously available plant scanner
-Hands-on exercises - Smartphone applications and programming, Structural imaging, Multispectral imaging, Field phenotyping methods

17 May 2017
-Conclusions – Discussions of the hands-on exercises, starting a challenge for affordable phenotyping approaches
-IPPN working group discussion

3 Likes

Wow Hawkspex sounds pretty compelling, I’m curious to see how it works and the cost and everything. I like the idea of affordable phenotyping for sure!

Yes! I’m very intrigued about it. After all, the phone screen has only red green and blue…
I’ll try to post something here after the workshop about the different tools available.

thank you for validating :slight_smile:

2 Likes