GOSH Shenzhen-- introduce yourself!

Hi everyone,

Please take a moment prior to GOSH to introduce yourself. Here’s some suggested prompts, but share links, stories, etc. in whatever format you prefer!

• Your name
  • Where you’re coming from
  • What is your involvement in open science hardware?
  • What you’re looking forward to at GOSH?
  • What connections are you hoping to make?

To start us off (and as an example), here’s mine:

Hi, I’m Shannon Dosemagen (@sdosemagen on Twitter)! I work with an organization based out of the United States called Public Lab (publiclab.org or @PublicLab). We support communities and groups around the world in asking questions about their environment and health through processes we called “community science”. Open hardware tools and the methods built around them, are key to our work. At GOSH this year, I’m going to be running around making sure everyone is having an awesome experience, so I’ll be excited to meet all of you one-on-one! I’m always interested in learning from others about community science work they are doing, but I’m especially interested in building connections at this GOSH that help move forward some of the items in the roadmap related to changing policy.

Shannon

5 Likes

I’m Rachel Hu, a Shenzhen based Industry 4.0 Artist. (QueenPenelope on WeChat)
I’m building an AQI Asian network called Citizen Q, based on luftdaten and open sense box in Germany. I’m doing imperial research to improve the software and develop new open hardware. On the side, I do workshops on building the environment stations.I would love to meet all the contrastive characters. I plan on finding more collaborative partners on new OScH projects.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone, I am Dr Sai Bhaskar Reddy Nakka, from Hyderabad, India. Had been contributing to the designs process and products relevant to millions of people in the areas of Rural Energy-Low cost biomass cookstoves (~50 designs) http://goodstove.com, Soil fertility using biochar and many other applications such as sanitation, green buildings, biochar compost bins, floating gardens, etc. And technologies for conversion of wasted biomass into biochar. http://biocharindia.com. Adopted Low-cost sensors +Arduino/GSM/etc. for water use efficiency in irrigation canals and on-farm. Designed rainwater harvesting systems too. I believe the principles of GOSH, participated in GOSH 2009 held at Banff, Canada. I have declared all my above work, my books and podcasts as open knowledge http://okgeo.org, I am against patenting things which are relevant to millions of people. I am very excited to meet the GOSH family, to learn from global happenings and share my experiences and looking forward to partner with similar organisations http://saibhaskar.com

3 Likes

Hello, everyone!

GOSH 2017 was an inspiring moment for me and is beautiful to see this inspiration get together again. I am so happy to meet a lot of people again and make new friends.

My name is Leonardo and I am from Porto Alegre, south of Brasil. Since 2012 I collaborate in CTA, a center/laboratory/community to promote new forms of production and dissemination of knowledge through free and open source technologies, citizen science, open science and with focus on scientific instrumentation.

In CTA, I am responsible for the Estações Meteorológica Modulares (EMM) project, which is a project to promote collaborative/community/citizen monitoring of the environment mainly based on school communities. Recently, I lauched a Community Guide to the EMM project to facilitate individuals and communities to form this collaborative monitoring network.

I also collaborate in EITCHA, the Escola Itinerante de Tecnologia Cidadã Hacker, an initiative to promote technological emancipation and the hacker culture in schools through activities/workshops about free and open source technologies.

I am interested in sharing our experiences from CTA, our recent successes and challenges, and talk about the integration I perceive is getting stronger in Latin America since GOSH 2017. TECNOx is an event with goals aligned to GOSH and next edition will be in Brasil (oh yeah!). I believe GOSH 2018 can be a moment to get in resonance, understand how we are in the latin american movement, learn with other regional movements around the World, and how we are all implementing the Roadmap in each context or not and why.

We are already planning Collaborative Fabrication Meetings in pre-GOSH, to the ones interested please join this thread!
Also excited to the pos-GOSH Public Lab Banrising.
Already want to meet each one in this thread!

A warm hug or the lovely greeting that suits the best for you!
Salve!

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Alex (@alexwastooshort on Twitter) and I’m a PhD student (Microbiology/Plant Immunity) at the Technical University of Munich. I love tinkering around with 3D printing, electronics and software. I try to (re)build and (re)invent scientific instruments in a low-cost way. My latest/current project is all about bacterial motility and imaging their different macroscopic shapes (Forum post, GitHub repository) and building a flow-through photometer for the Biomaker Challenge DIY bioreactor (Github repository).

I am looking forward to meeting all you like-minded people, find friends and collaborate on OSH projects!

See you in Shenzhen!

4 Likes

Hey all!

I’m Padmal from Sri Lanka! Currently I’m a final year undergraduate doing my BSc in Electronic and Telecommunication Engineering in University of Moratuwa. I like embedded designing and robotics a lot. Also I think PCB designing is an art :slight_smile: During last year I was able to participate in GSoC with FOSSASIA and worked on PSLab project developing the hardware. I’m still working on that and another parallel project to build up a low cost, accurate brain wave measuring hardware.

I’m glad to be in this community! :slight_smile:

See you all!

1 Like

Hello World!

I’m Emmanuel from Switzerland. I studied microtechnical engineering (think MEMS, but also assays on cells), and am now one year away from the end of a master degree in Innovation, Human Development and Sustainability, in which I try to enable more people to access affordable science.
As an exchange program, I’m going to spend one semester in Tsinghua University, Beijing, and will then already be in China before GOSH (so if you transit by Beijing, or are there for whatever reason starting end of August, hit me up).
On the side, I’m trying to network pollution monitoring devices (but who isn’t?), and also find a way to help kids test their parents’ diabetes.

Also happy, also eager to meet you all, and so on :slight_smile: See you (quite) soon!

PS: WeChat ID> EmmanuelKellner

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Julieta but everyone calls me Juli. I’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina, currently working at Geneva, Switzerland in the Geneva-Tsinghua Initiative.

I have a background in Environmental Science but I’m now pursuing a phd on Social Studies of Science&Technology, and my object of study is, oh well, GOSH :slight_smile: I study how open hardware ¿is contributing? to making science&technology more democratic by empowering people and visibilizing different voices. Besides, I’m part of ETER, as @Emmanuel said “yet another air quality monitoring project”, this time in our hacklab in Buenos Aires.

I’m interested in working on standardisation and not re-inventing the wheel everytime we start a new project. Also I’m very interested in community-generated metrics, evaluation methods and open hardware “good practices”.

Last year I attended GOSH in Chile for the first time and it kinda changed my life (I’m being serious here!). This year I’m attending as part of the people-who-run-around-making-sure-everything-is-ok, as @shannond said.

I’m hoping to meet people who want to work on moving GOSH forward in very concrete ways & make plans for it :muscle:t3:, exchange experiences, ask all the questions I have in my head. I also expect to hug friends and make new ones :heartpulse:

See you in Shenzhen! :fireworks:

PS: If you don’t have a profile picture, choose one ^^
PS2: My WeChat ID is jarancio

4 Likes

Hi!
My name is Marina, but you can call me Marina.
I came from the south of Brazil (Porto Alegre). I work at CTA, a lab that develops and research osch at the university UFRGS. I’ve being working with education and also with calibration of osch (mostly for meteorology).
In GOSH, I’m looking forward to get to know you all and learn throught your experiences.
I’m most interested in strategies to expand osch, open science and citzen/comunitarie science. I’m also very interested in descolonize knowlodge and tecnologies, to valoraze the tradigional/ancient knowlodge.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m Leslie (@zengirl2) from the US and I’m really excited to attend my first GOSH event! I’m also thrilled about visiting China for many reasons–one which is hardware. I’m known for my Arduino and Raspberry Pi love and have done work with Adafruit. However, these days I volunteer for Public Lab and I’m hoping to merge my passion for environment and hardware into a job. At GOSH I’m hoping to meet others that have an interest in helping those experiencing environmental problems and figuring out how we may form Environmental Emergency Response Teams (working title) around the world that can come to the aid of communities in the form of scientists, sociologists, doctors, artists and whoever else is needed. If you already know of a similar system, I’m happy to learn about it. Also, can’t wait to hear about all the other open source projects you are all working on. :tada::unicorn:

2 Likes

Hello ,
I am Adelaide Mensah from Ghana. I work with University of Health and allied Sciences (Ghana ) as an assistant Lecturer in Pharmaceutics. I love using openscad and thinkercad for 3D printing. My friends and I started building a 2-axis mechanical shaker and 3D printed sieves for particle size analysis at the recent TReND in Africa Advanced openLab workshop. Im very much interested in creating awareness in open hardware in my institution . At the GOSH 2018 I look forward to meeting people with similar interests to share ideas

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Moritz von Buttlar and I’m a physicist from Leipzig , Germany. My involvement in open science hardware started 15 years ago when I participated in the OpenEEG project to develop a low-cost device to measure brain waves. After studying physics, environmental ethics and public policy and working at the university in different fields (plasma physics, acoustic microscopy of cells and bioreactors) as well as in a startup, I decided to start a small electronics company focused on GOSH measurement equipment.

The first project is a potentiostat for electrochemical (bio)sensors. At the conference I’m looking forward to connect with developers of other projects (e.g. lab robotics, microfluidics and opendrop etc., but also environmental sensing) and to find potential users and collaborators. The longterm goal is to replace the widely used ELISA systems with something better and open source…
I’m also interested in exchanging experiences and ideas around GOSH, especially from a small business perspective.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I am Pollock from Bangladesh. I graduated from the University of Nottingham in Mechatronic Engineering and I have worked with Tech Academy where I researched and taught schoolchildren robotics, electronics, and programming from open-source platforms. I have also taught children from indigenous tribal communities in Bandarban, one of the most remote and impoverished places in Bangladesh.

I have also co-founded a nonprofit company, LEAP, where we develop low-cost plastic recycling machine following the open-source blueprints of Precious Plastic. We are working to raise awareness about plastic pollution and optimizing and improving the design of the recycling machines.

Alongside open source projects, I am also working full time as a Research Engineer at ME SOLshare. SOLshare is a social enterprise and it interconnects rural households with Solar Home Systems in a smart solar microgrid and allows users to trade electricity with their neighbors. It monetizes excess solar energy along the value chain in real time with mobile money and empowers communities to earn a direct income from the sun.

I got to know about GOSH from a friend, who attended GOSH 2017. I was excited to see people from different parts of the world working on interesting projects coming together and sharing ideas. I am excited and looking forward to lots of learning, collaborations, discussing ideas and meeting new people in GOSH 2018!

See you all soon in Shenzhen!

Cheers!

Get in touch here: palok94@gmail.com
Or WeChat: pollock_694

4 Likes

Hi all

My name is Fernando Castro but everyone calls me Nano.

I work at the university in Mendoza (Argentina) as a physics teacher an also as responsible of LabFD, a small digital fabrication lab were we work on developing and adapting/replicating open source tools, scientific and non. We are currently working (together with @pablocremades) in educational instruments for basic mechanics and also on MACA, another air quality monitor.

I’m also part of Ayllù, a cooperative were we produce small quantities of wine, fruit juices, beer and processed food. This is going to be our first year managing a small 6 ha farm so we are in the process of practice/learning agroecology by ourselves and by sharing with some local campesinos already in this path.

I was enchanted by GOSH last year at Santiago and I have been engaged since then with the community, especially with those at America Latina. This year I hope to see further integration and complement of initiatives around common concerns (just to be sure not to build yet another lonely AQ monitor!!). Particularly
I’m interested on the mapping, integration and development of tools/resources to inquire about the quality/health of air, water, soil/plants and food just to make OScH more available and relevant for communities that need to defend/transform/improve their environment, practices and territories.

I want to seize my first time in Asia (and the really long trip) so I will be at pre-GOSH and also intend to be at post-GOSH PubilcLab Barnraising.

Looking forward to meet and share with so many talented known and still unknown folks.

Nos vemos en Shenzhen.

Saludos

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m Prayush Bijukchhe from Nepal. I’m a third year undergraduate studying IT. I love coding and working with PI’s and arduinos. I also work at an education institute called Karkhana where we teach students(age: 8-13yrs) to use these kinds of open source hardware and software. I’m psyched to learn from you all.

I’m really looking forward to meeting you all.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Dulce, I am a biologist from Peru. I do research in health of high altitude populations, and my interest in open source hardware came from noticing how licensed hardware hampered the development of science in resource limited settings. This is why (alongside with @jptincopa), we are starting an open hardware development group in our University (UPCH) focusing in the development of low-cost lab equipment. In Shenzhen, I look forward to discuss new ways to promote OSH in the scientific community since I believe now it is discouraged, for example in Peru, there is a national directory of scientists and researchers and you are graded according to your publications, h-index etc, and also how many patents you have, no recognition is given if you develop OSH. You only get funding from the government based on this scoring system so young researchers are not particularly encouraged to use, let alone, develop OSH.

I’m eager to get to know you all in October and learn from you. This will be my first GOSH, so I’m really excited.

See you in Shenzhen!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m Jenny Molloy and I’m based in Cambridge UK. I’ve been a GOSH organiser from the start back in 2016 so in my spare time I do this and also run a not-for-profit community lab in Cambridge. By day I’m a Shuttleworth Fellow at the University of Cambridge, setting up an interdiciplinary research group called the Open Bioeconomy Lab (@Hail_Harry is the second member at the moment!).

I’m interested in the role and impact of open technologies for creating a sustainable and equitable bioeconomy, which include research tools like hardware. My work focuses on better understanding problems facing researchers accessing biological research tools in low-resource contexts. I’m analysing existing innovative solutions and the potential for local, distributed manufacturing of enzymes to improve access and build capacity for biological research. Another aim of my research is to help bring “open” into innovation policy, where we have a long way to go!

At GOSH I’m hopefully convening an unconference session on biological materials so drop me a DM or email on jcm80@cam.ac.uk if that would be of interest and you’d like to plan/facilitate. I’m also super-excited to be convened as a community and get some actions onto our GOSH Roadmap. I’ll be running around with the other organisers to make sure you’re having a fun and productive time so I look forward to meeting all of you :smiley:.

Jenny

1 Like

Hello Everyone.

My name is Harry Akligoh (@Hail_Harry) from Ghana. I work with Kumasi Hive and with Jenny Molloy, PhD as a researcher with the Open Bioeconomy Lab where we study challenges within the bioeconomy of low resource countries and use the open science approach to democratize how research is done locally. We do this by creating the capacity for local researchers to overcome the reagent distribution chain challenge (one of the numerous challenges) by equipping them with open protocols and resources for local enzyme manufacturing to improve access to reagents for biological research.

3 Likes

I am Kafilat Adedeji, I work as an independent research plant scientist in Nigeria. I teach simple, smart and sustainable organic farming technologies including mushrooms farming, 3D ponics, vertical farming (Geoponics), Aquaponics and bioponics, and plant pathology. I am @urbanorganicfarmtrainer on instagram. I am in my second year of my PhD and I am working on the development of the most effective management strategies combinations for vascular wilts of tomatoes. I am so excited to be joining Gosh this year as I look forward to connecting with like minds, sharing ideas, collaborating on some projects and expanding my network. Thanks

3 Likes

Good morning, everyone.
I am Justin Ahinon (Twitter: Justin Ahinon), a final year undergraduate student in statistics applied to economics.

I am particularly interested in how scientific/academic content is accessed in Africa and more specifically in French-speaking Africa.

Last June, I co-founded with @access2perspectives , AfricArxiv, a free preprint platform for African scientists.

I am also particularly involved in the development of digital literacy among children, especially girls. I am therefore working on Hack Her_, a digital discovery programme to facilitate the feminisation of the sector in my country, Benin.

I am also co-leader of the Keoubougou Pi project, a programme to facilitate digital skills acquisition among young school children using Raspberry Pi as their main working tools. (ah I forgot, I’m also a big fan of arduino, RPI and embedded computing).

I look forward to see you in Shenzhen and hope I’ll meet some interesting people.

You can reach me on WeChat (JustinyAhin); I would be happy to have a chat.

2 Likes