c) A report directly from AfricaOSH!
d) Learning something new from a GOSHer: HiSeq project with @kaspar

March call

Agenda:
a) Introductions/newcomers
b) Soil cromatography with @nanocastro
c) Topic discussion: New funding concepts for GOSH
d) Learning something new from a GOSHer, this time with @julianstirling

As @ryanfobel mentioned in GOSH Riot channel, the idea is to rotate meeting times so everyone has a chance to attend. Suggestions, constributions, etc welcome in this post.

7 Likes

let’s add it also to our gcal:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=cWhsZDgzcjkzNWVubHExcGd1M2loZm82N3NAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

m

1 Like

Hi all,
Good thing this call! :grinning:
I wonder though, how and who decided which topics were going to be discussed in this first call?
Cheers!
Paz

Hey @paz! Discussion was open here, in the issues, for 3 months: https://gitlab.com/gosh-community/gosh-roadmap/issues/110

I know not all GOSHers check gitlab, so I also posted it in other channels like Riot.

As there were no suggestions and I’m responsible for that issue, for this time I picked a topic that is currently being actively discussed in the forum (New funding concepts, funding toolchain for GOSH?)

Regarding the other sections, as I didn’t receive comments I contacted diverse goshers - @nanocastro and @julianstirling replied and are available for the time of the call.

Hopefully after this 1st call the following will have more participation in the making of the agenda. At least that would make things easier for me!

1 Like

As for the learn something new session I am not sure what to talk about. Options include:

• Calibrations - what are they?
  • The new SI - The world just redefined the way we define our units
  • 3D printing lab equipment - How to not simply copy a metal design and produce something rubbish

0 voters

I could probably talk about other things. Feel free to suggest something or I will just pick one myself.

1 Like

:wink: super

I turned your options into a poll. FYI you can add a poll by clicking on the gear icon and selecting “Build Poll” while editing a post.

2 Likes

This is happening today right ?

yup! in 2 hs!

didn’t get the time right :rage: and joined an hour later. anyways, let us know how it went.

Oh no @paz! It went ok, we had some technical difficulties with JitSi but many joined! Notes are here

I also made a backup of the notes in the gitlab GOSH repository, just did the merge request (ping @unixjazz :D)

1 Like

Ping everyone, april call details are on the top post to be discussed!

2 Likes

It is worth noting that the hour change in Europe happens on March 31st. So if you want to do the call at 4PM in Geneva it will be CEST (GMT+2) not CET. Assuming this is the plan the plan, people should hopefully be able to find their local time here. Hour changes suck.

1 Like

Instead of Zoom we could try my shiny new instance of Jitsi: https://meet.kitspace.org/gosh

I am still struggling to come up with something I could teach within 15 mins :frowning:

What about an overview explanation of what is actually in the DNA sequencing machine you are working on? To many of us it is just a black box full of magic.

1 Like

That’s a possibility, sure. I am a bit hazy on some of the details myself at this point. Should review things anyway though.

Ok! Let’s try your instance @kaspar and maybe we won’t have to bother @jcm80 next month.

Don’t worry so much about the 15’! My thoughts on this were more about introducing a topic so people can afterwards do some research on their own. A place where to start, get some of the jargon explained, etc. And please feel free to suggest something different if you think it can work better.

Is anyone opposing to move this meeting 1 week forward? I was incredibly busy and could not follow up with the preparations (contacting people, who is talking about what, etc)

I don’t mind moving it but I was going to prepare a 15 minute session on the internals of the HiSeq as @julianstirling suggested.

If you don’t mind moving, as I didn’t have replies from others, I’d prefer to move it a week